Pages

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Hey Govind, hey Gopal, Krishna hey Murari




 
Words: Soor Das Ji
Composition: Indira Devi
Voice: M S Subbulaxmi

Language: Brij Bhasha
Raag:
Taal: Rupak
_______________________________________________________________________________________________


M S Subbulaxmi and Soor Das Ji are both a revelation to me presently. I knew a couple of bhajans by Soor Das Ji from school but never really thought much about them. As for M S, I had no clue who she was till a month back! Growing up, I learnt Hindustani classical music and so I was more familiar with names from this genre of classical music. I still do not know anyone else from the Carnatic tradition except M S (but I hope to get intimate with more names very soon).

So one fine night I decided to expand my horizons into Carnatic music and the first name that came up was M S Subbulaxmi and soon I realized I was listening to something special. I then heard her renditions of some of Soor Das Ji's bhajans and, for the first time, I realized how beautiful these simple songs of the blind saint were! Suddenly, I was deluged by the beauty of these pearl-like words and their immense emotional capacity

I am currently a captive of this particular bhajan 'Hey Govind, hey Gopal, Krishna hey Murari' and so I present their lyrics below, followed by a rather literal translation

Please Note: I have noted down the lyrics by listening to the song. They are mostly accurate except for a couple of lines which I couldn't understand and they are highlighted in a different colour. Please feel free to suggest corrections. I just couldn't find the lyrics to this bhajan anywhere on the net.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
 
"Hey Govind, hey Gopal, Krishna hey Murari
Hey dayal, Nand laal, paap-taap haari

To so badhik vachal nahi, nath kaun to so?
Mo so patit aur nahin, na najh mo so
To hi aaye sharan teri, hey hriday-haari
Hey dayal, Nand laal, paap-taap haari

Kamal nayan, madhur bayan, maal gal suhave
Chapal charan, Manmohan Yamuna tat aave
Madhur, madhur murli adhar, ang peet dhaari
Hey dayal, Nand laal, paap-taap haari

Hey Kripalu naam tero sun ke neer aaye
Beri-beri itni der Shyam kyu lagaayi?
Janam-janam baat dekhu, naath, mai tihari
Hey dayal, Nand laal, paap-taap haari

Hey Govind, hey Gopal, Krishna hey Murari
Hey dayal, Nand laal, paap-taap haari..."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Translation:

O Govind! O Gopal! Krishna, O Murari! (All names of Krishna)
O kind lord, the son of Nand, redeemer of our sins

There is no one like you, who can be a lord like you?
No bigger sinner than me, no one else
Thus, I submit to you, O saviour of souls
O kind lord, the son of Nand, redeemer of our sins

Lotus-eyed, sweet natured, garland adorned
With swift feet, Manmohan, come near Yamuna
The sweet, sweet flute on lips, yellow attired
O kind lord, the son of Nand, redeemer of our sins

O kind lord, hearing your name I cry
Why do you delay again, Shyam?
I have been waiting for you all through my lives
O kind lord, the son of Nand, redeemer of our sins


O Govind! O Gopal! Krishna, O Murari!
O kind lord, the son of Nand, redeemer of our sins


_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Source for name of composer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKPvw1YtpCg

2 comments:

  1. i think its meera bhajan...
    n the orange lines go like;
    to so bhakta vatsal nahin...
    na nath moso...
    n in the last paragraph first line its meera n not neer ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for the effort to put this compilation. I have been benefitted and could learn the song. The corrections suggested in the followup post are apt and go well with the theme.

    ReplyDelete