Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

Piya to maanat naahi




Voice: Pt. Bhimsen Joshi
Format: Thumri
Raag: Mishra Kaafi
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If I had to choose only one piece by Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, it would be this. He sings it with so much feeling and with so much understanding. I love the quietness in his voice. It creates the mood but doesn’t intrude into one’s thoughts. One could silently sit by the window, in the evening, and think while he sings in the background and one would feel calmed by it.

The piece is based on raag Kaafi or more accurately on raag Mishra Kaafi, which is nearly the same as Kaafi. It bears distinct resemblance to Kala Ramnath's thumri in raag Kaafi that I posted earlier. Both seem to be evoking the same image of someone trying to pacify their lover. One’s despondence over lost love is beautifully portrayed by the notes of the raag. I had always heard more colourful renditions in the raag; songs of holi, songs of love; but these are quieter, melancholic pieces. I would now love to explore more shades of raag kaafi and see how the same set of swaras can create such myriad moods and melodies.


Here is a beautiful article which talks about raag Kaafi and its Carnatic counterpart, Kapi, and many shades and variations of the raag: ‘The many flavours of Kapi’ 
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Lyrics:

Ho… Piya…

Ab to piya to maanat naahi…
Kaun unan se manware…

Ho re… aiso nithur harjaai…
Preet purani jaanat naahi

Ab kaun unan se manware
PIya to maanat naahi…

__________________________________________________________________________________________
 

Translation:

Oh my love…


My love doesn’t heed me
Who shall pacify him...

So hard-hearted he has become...
He doesn’t remember our old love

Now who shall pacify him
My love doesn’t heed me
...


No comments:

Post a Comment