Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Raghuvamsa Sudha





Composition: Patnam Subramanya Iyer
Voice: M S Subbulaxmi

Composition Format: Kriti
Raag: Kathanakuthuhalam
Taal: Aadi Taal
Language: Telugu
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

In my exploration of M S Subbulaxmi's music I chanced upon this sensational piece. After I had heard it a few times, I felt a curious urge to run around south Indian shores and explore the ancient temples. I pictured myself free and powerful.

I imagine myself standing tall on a cliff, arms open wide against the wind blowing with full force, my head thrown back and my eyes shut tight as I breath in the smell of a limitless green valley, victorious. I imagine a tall ornate temple standing strong against a sea in high tide, the sea waves thrashing upon its large dark stones. I enter the temple; it is dark; I walk slowly towards the light arising from the antechamber. As I enter the room, I am blinded by the magnificent light of the shrine. I struggle to see it clearly, and then, I see it.





Pallavi
Raghuvamsa sudhambudhi chandra shri
Rama Rama Rajeshvara

Anupallavi
Agha megha maruta shrikara
Asuresha mrigendra vara jagannatha

Chittaswaram
Sa- ReMa Ga- ReSa, Re- MaMa Dha- DhaNi,
Ga- GaPa Sa- SaNi, DhaPa MaGa PaMa GaRe
SaRe ReMa MaDha DhaNi, GaPa PaSa SaRe ReMa,
MaGa GaRe ReSa SaNi, NiDha DhaPa PaMa GaRe

Charanam
Jamadagnija garva khandana
Jaya rudradi vismita bhandana
Kamal-aptanvaya-mandana-
Ganita-pura-shaurya shri venkateshvara 
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Translation:

Pallavi
O moon to the nectar-ocean of the Raghu lineage!
Sri Rama, lord of emperors!

Anupallavi
O wind (that drives away the) sin-cloud! Maker of prosperity!
O lion (terrifying the) king of asuras! Noble lord of the world!

Charanam
O Destroyer of Parshurama's conceit!
One praised by the amazed Rudra and others!
O Ornament to the Solar dynasty!
O Doer of innumerable marvellous heroics! Lord Venkatesha!



_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Source for lyrics and translation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raghuvamsa_Sudha
Source for information on the composer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patnam_Subramania_Iyer



3 comments:

  1. The lyric in the charanam is slightly wrong, the correct one being thus:

    Kamalaaptaanvayamandanaaganitaadbhutashaurya shri venkateshvara

    The whole thing starting from 'kamalaa....to shaurya' is one single word. Breaking it into two reverses the meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saurabh,

      Thanks for the correction...!

      Keep visiting :)

      Delete
  2. Think it is compiled in Sanskrit. I heard MS singing as Sri rama rama rajeswara and maharajapuram santanam singing as sri rama raja rajeswara leaving me confused

    ReplyDelete