Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

Kala Ramnath - Thumri in Raag Kaafi




Player: Kala Ramnath
Composition Format: Thumri
Raag: Kaafi
__________________________________________________________________________________

Thumri is primarily a format of vocal composition. I have come to adore thumris, especially in the voice of Pt. Bhimsen Joshi. I could never imagine them being played on an instrument, and then I discovered a whole bunch of beautiful instrumental thumris. The possibilities in classical music really are endless!

This particular piece is breathtakingly beautiful. Like the one I shared earlier, this too evokes a beautiful sense of nostalgia. I, for one, always recede into my thoughts when I hear these two pieces.

What I really love about Kala Ramnath's playing is that she keeps all parts of the composition at just the right length. I especially like how she keeps her jhalas short; I don't like jhalas so much; they sound good in full-length raag performances but they needn't be part of all compositions. Long aalaps, short jhalas, that's how it should be. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment